Tuesday 10 March 2015

Can we request Krsna to force us to surrender to Him, due to our conditioning?


Devotee: ...withdraw that independence, can we request Krsna to force us to surrender to Him, due to our conditioning?

Prabhupada: Yes, you can request Him. And He sometimes forces. He puts you in such circumstances that you have no other way than to surrender to Krsna. Yes. That is special favor. That is special favor. Yes. My spiritual master wanted me to preach, but I did not like it, but he forced me. Yes. That is my practical experience. I had no desire to accept the sannyasa order and preach, but my spiritual master wanted it. I am not very much inclined, but he forced me. That is also done. That is special favor. When he forced me, at that time, I thought that "What is this? What...? I am committing some mistake or what is that?" I was puzzled. But a little after, I could understand that it is the greatest favor shown to me. You see? So when Krsna forces somebody to surrender, that is a great favor. But generally, He does not do so. But He does so to a person who is very sincere to Krsna's service but at the same time he has got slight desire for material enjoyment. In that case He does, that "This foolish person does not know that material facility will never make him happy, and he is sincerely seeking My favor. So he is foolish. Therefore whatever resource, little resource he has got for material enjoyment, break it. Then he will have no other alternative than to surrender unto Me." That is stated in the Bhagavad-gita, er, Srimad-Bhagavatam. Yasyaham anughrnami harisye tad-dhanam sanaih. Krsna says that "If I do somebody special favor, then I make him poverty-stricken. I take away all his means of sense enjoyment." You see? That is stated in the Srimad-Bhagavatam. Because here in this material world everyone is trying to be happy by earning more money, by business, by service, by this way or that way. But in special cases Krsna makes his business or service unsuccessful. Do you like that? (laughs) At that time he has no other alternative than to surrender to Krsna. You see? But sometimes, when we are unsuccessful in our business attempt or earning attempt, we become sorry that "Oh, Krsna is so cruel upon me that I could not trust in this." But that is His favor, special favor. You should understand like that. Yes. (end)

(Sri Rama-Navami, Lord Ramacandra's Appearance Day - Hawaii, March 27, 1969)

No comments:

Post a Comment