Saturday 5 March 2016

No Compromise


A compilation from Srila Prabhupada’s words :



Paramahamsa: Our position in preaching should be to encourage people in all respects to associate with us.
Prabhupada: Yes.
Paramahamsa: That means sometimes we might have to compromise in certain ways.
Prabhupada: Why compromise? You don't compromise. Then you associate with him. If you make compromise, then you associate with him. Then gradually you'll also go down. When we, when we see some person, we do not associate with him, but we give him chance to associate with me. Why you should make compromise? What is the reason? If you know something positively, why should you make compromise? When people come to talk with me, see me, I don't make any compromise. Do I make any compromise?
Devotees: No.
(MW Paris 11/07/74)

Indian man: There was some trouble with your movement in America recently.
Prabhupada: We don’t care for this trouble. If you are sincere it is all right. We are facing so many difficulties. We don’t care for it. We never compromise. All my students, they will never compromise. Why shall I compromise? If I am confident that I am speaking the truth, why shall I make compromise? Those who are not confident of his position, they will make compromise. One who does not know where he stands, he will make compromise. And if I know where I am standing, why shall I make compromise? Let others do whatever he likes. This is our position.
(Press Int. Bombay 31/12/76)

The fact is that I am the only one in India who is openly criticizing, not only demigod worship and impersonalism, but everything that falls short of complete surrender to Krsna. My Guru Maharaja never compromised in His preaching, nor will I, nor should any of my students. We are firmly convinced that Krsna is the Supreme Personality of Godhead, and all others are His part and parcel servants. This we must declare boldly to the whole world. (Letter 72-01-03)

If I criticize them, they become angry. So what can I do? I have to speak the truth. I cannot amalgamate real and nonreal. That is not possible. (740315CC.VRN)

We have got a very nice diamond. Try to sell it. If there is a purchaser, he will purchase. Otherwise not. It is our duty to canvas. But we cannot sell iron instead of diamonds. (770410rc.bom)

We say plainly, You are all rascals. That's all. You have no discrimination. Anyone who does not believe as it is, he's a rascal. That's all. He may be happy or sorry. You don't mind. You don't make compromise. (750323ar.may)

No-one should resent the incisive words of a preacher; they should appreciate his straightforwardness and beneficial instructions. As Canakya Pandita says, "He who speaks out plainly cannot be a deceiver." (Niti Sastra 5.5)

When you become actually preacher of God consciousness, you cannot make any compromise. You must call a spade a spade. (721016SB.Vrin)

Krsna says, sarva-dharman parityajya mäm ekam saranam vraja: “Let aside everything. Just become My devotee, a surrendered soul.” So we are preaching that. We don’t make compromise. Therefore all people are against me. Because “This man simply says, ‘Krsna.’ ” But I cannot say anything more. (731228sb.la)

We don't make any compromise. What we believe, we are preaching that. People are accepting. So you believe or not believe; it doesn't matter for us. (751113mw.Bom)

We cannot compromise to satisfy others. (Letter, September 30, 1973)

A devotee should never make compromises with nondevotees. (CC Mad. 12.135p)

If you become Krsna conscious, the whole world will be your enemy. You must be prepared for that. (740802BG.VRN)

As soon as you become successful, there will be many enemies. That is natural. That is the sign of success. (731103rc.del)

We have not very many followers because we disagree with all rascals. We are not rascals. (730918rc.bom)

But I cannot make any compromise I shall... My life is ended, now eighty-one. I do not... But so long I shall live I shall make no compromise, krsnas tu bhagavan svayam. Drdha-vrata. And that is a fact. Why shall I mislead people? They are searching after God, what is God. Here is God. Why don’t you take it.
(Conv. Hyderebad 24/08/76)

Unless there is opposition, it is not genuine. It is not genuine or it is not serious. Opposition must be there. (770109mw.bom)

Opposition is our victory. (770109rc.bom)

We don’t make any flattery to satisfy the whims of the ordinary people. We speak from Srimad-Bhagavatam, we speak from Bhagavad-gita, and present them as it is, without any adulteration. This is our position. If you like, then you make progress. If you don’t like, that is your option. But we cannot make any compromise. We must present the sastra as it is. (740927sb.cal)

In spiritual matters, everything is spoken frankly, without compromise. We say, "If you are not Krsna conscious, then you are a rascal. You may be the president. That doesn't matter. But because you are not Krsna conscious, you are a rascal." There is no compromise, "Oh, he is a big man." So many scientists come. I say, "You are a rascal. You are a demon." (laughter) I say it. (731231sb.la)

“Give up everything. Simply surrender unto Me.” This is confidential knowledge. Jnana, karma, yoga, this will not help. It will take some time. You can waste your time in that way, you are at liberty, but real dharma is that “You fully surrender unto Me. Don’t talk nonsense.” Arjuna was talking so many nonsense things. So Krsna ultimately said, “My dear Arjuna, you are My confidential friend. Therefore I am asking you. You do this. Don’t waste your time. It will not help.” It will help—bahunam janmanam ante [Bg. 7.19]. You can go on with your learning, with your study of Vedas, with your practice of yoga or ritualistic ceremonies, karma-kanda, jnana-kanda, but unless you come to this point—sarva-dharman parityajya mam ekam saranam vraja [Bg. 18.66]—there is no happiness. That is not possible. This is the confidential... So if this confidential knowledge, one who preaches without any compromise, he is the confidential servant of Krsna. There is no compromise. This is real religion. (SB Lect. Vrindavan 30/11/76)

Prabhupada: No. Why compromise? My Guru Mahäräja never made any compromise.
Atreya Rsi: Compromise means you have some material attachment.
Prabhupada: Yes, compromise means you don't want real business but you want some money by cheating and by bluffing. That's all. That is compromise.
(Conv. San Diego 29/06/72)

Prabhupada:
I don’t make any compromise with these rascals. No words. No, no. I never made that. Even if I don’t get any disciples, I’ll be satisfied. But I can’t make any compromise like these rascals. I cannot make. Ekas candras tamo hanti na ca tara sahasrasah. If I create one moon, that is sufficient. I don’t want many stars. That was my Guru Maharaja’s principle, and that is my principle. What is the use of having number of fools and rascals? If one man understands rightly, he can deliver the whole world. (MW Bombay 12/03/74)

Tell them. Challenge them, “What do you know about the value of life? Your brain must be washed to clear out all the dirty things.” Our duty is that. Just like a patient does not know how he will be cured, but the surgeon—“Operation. Clear out these pusses.” He may protest, “Oh, you are clearing out my pusses!” But “Yes! It is my business. Clear out the pusses. Then you will be relieved—by force.” But he can protest, “Oh, you are clearing out my pusses!” “Pusses, what for you...? Pusses is not to be maintained. It has to be cleared out.” This is para upakara, doing good to others. And the patient will protest, “Oh, this rascal doctor, killing me, killing me, killing me!” “Yes, I am not killing you. I am saving you. You go on accusing me any way, but I must do my duty.” This is the point. “Yes, we are washing brain,” exactly like the experienced surgeon. He doesn’t make any compromise. “Oh, you are suffering from the boil. There is pus. All right, you don’t like operation?” Will that cure? “”No, fool! Come one. Bring knife. Cut it. Press. Now?” “Oh, I am so relieved! You are God. You are God.” Then he will see. That is our duty: purge out all pusses accumulated due to infection, material infection. This is our duty. We cannot make any compromise. When the pusses are to be purged out, we cannot take your advice, that “Just blow some air from the mouth or some fan. It will be cured.” No, it will not be. Take surgical operation. That is only way. Purge out.
(Conv. Bhubaneswar 21/01/77)

Pusna Krsna:
All of the others are trying to make some compromise.
Prabhupada: That is also bad. How we can make compromise? Here is gold, here is iron, how you can compromise? Can we accept iron as gold? All right, let us accept. (laughs) Where is the possibility?
Hari-Sauri: They don’t see that clearly. They are looking at their iron and thinking it’s gold.
Prabhupada: They are seeing... They’re tested. I don’t make any compromise. All my speaking is also no compromise.
(Conv. New Vrindavan 01/07/76)

Prabhupada: No. How can I say anything which is not spoken by Krsna? Krsna is.... Krsna says, na mam duskrtino mudhah prapadyante naradhama mayayapahåta-jnana [Bg. 7.15]. So we have got this test: if anyone has no interest in Krsna, he must be with these groups, that’s all. Duskrtina, mdhha, naradhama. And Caitanya Mahaprabhu said, yare dekha tare kaha ‘krsna-upadesa’ [Cc. Madhya 7.128]. So how can I violate?
Dr. Patel: No.
Prabhupada: Both ways. I cannot violate. Caitanya Mahaprabhu said that you simply speak what Krsna has said, and Krsna says that anyone who is not Krsna conscious, he is a rascal. He is a most sinful man, he is the lowest of mankind. So why shall I not say? It is not firing; it is telling the truth. (laughs with Patel) But I am not loser. I am, I do not make any compromise. All these my students ask, I never made any compromise. But still they understand, and they are with me.
(MW Bombay 18/12/75)

Prabhupada: Don’t make compromise. This principle must be observed. Then you’ll remain strong. As soon as you make compromise, then it is finished. Drdha-vratah.
Find out this verse. Drdha-vratah. What is that? Bhajante mam drdha-vratah. Namasyantas ca mam...
Caru: Bhajante mam drdha-vratah.
Prabhupada: Ah, ah. That drdha-vratah must be there, strong determination. Then it will go on. The scientists will come to learn and the psychiatrists will come to learn if you keep drdha-vratah. And as soon as you make compromise, then nobody will care for (it). (Conv. Melbourne 02/07/74)

Satyam, truthfulness, means that facts should be presented as they are, for the benefit of others. Facts should not be misrepresented. According to social conventions, it is said that one can speak the truth only when it is palatable to others. But that is not truthfulness. The truth should be spoken in a straightforward way, so that others will understand actually what the facts are. If a man is a thief and if people are warned that he is a thief, that is truth. Although sometimes the truth is unpalatable, one should not refrain from speaking it. Truthfulness demands that the facts be presented as they are for the benefit of others. That is the definition of truth.(Bg. 10.4-5 purport) 



No comments:

Post a Comment